Saturday, May 20, 2006

Proud to be My Father's Son


Today my dad was awarded an honorary doctorate at Mt. Vernon Nazarene University. I don’t know of anyone more deserving of such an honor. I’ve watched how others treat my dad with tremendous respect, and I’ve had the privilege of seeing first hand why he is so worthy of it.
Proverbs 17:27 says, “A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.” I read that this morning and thought it was a great description of the kind of man he is. I have a lot to learn about using words with restraint but I have a great example to follow.
I really enjoyed seeing my siblings, too. My sister and brothers are caring, sensitive people who love God and love me. Though we weren’t together long, it was a very good time.
One highlight of my day was a special conversation with my uncle. We don’t see each other often but I feel a unique connection with him. Among other things, he said that he respects me, and he shared some rich memories of his mother and father that helped me feel more connected to my family’s Christian roots. I would have driven a thousand miles to have that conversation and thank God for it.
Another highlight was embracing my dad, telling him how much I love him and how proud I am to be his son. He also said that he was proud of me, and that means more to me than I can say.
It was an emotional day for me for a lot of reasons. And it was a glorious day because God was exalted. Significant contributions were honored appropriately. And the love that has characterized our family was demonstrated exceptionally.
I’m grateful for my heritage. I’m grateful the people and experiences God has used and is using to conform me to the image of His Son Jesus. And I’m grateful for the affirmation of both my heavenly Father and my earthly father. It's a wonderful thing to be a child of the King and the son of Dr. Estep!
Since I’m learning to use words with restraint, that’s all for now. :)

1 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger middle aged blogger said...

I was proud to be able to say "I know him!" when I watched your dad receive his honorary doctorate!

Love, MA B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home