Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Good Visit

My parents arrived last night and we're having a great time. We grilled burgers for dinner last night then went to Seth's baseball practice and on to the Sundae Station for dessert.
I needed to show some houses this morning but it didn't take as long as I thought it would. I got to show mom and dad where I work and they met several of the other agents in our office. Then we grabbed some lunch and worked outside all afternoon. Dad and I built some seats for the kids' sandbox, put mulch around our little decorative pond, and cut, split & stacked some firewood. After a delicous dinner we went fishing and caught a bunch of largemouth bass and bluegill. Seth is eager to go again tomorrow. I really need to teach that boy to put the worm on his own hook so I can get some fishing in, too!
We played a card game called Hand & Foot and mom and dad beat Kim and me pretty badly. I don't like to go to bed without at least being even, but everyone was too tired for a rematch. We'll get them tomorrow or Friday!
I'm pretty tired but it sure has been a good day. I am blessed with amazing parents who love God and love their family. I'm excited that they will get to experience the church that meets in our house tomorrow night.

Today's N-Cite: Work is good and healthy. My parents taught me the value of hard work by simply working hard themselves and expecing us to do the same. I hope that's something Seth & Shani "catch" from us.

2 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger middle aged blogger said...

Hi

During the grade school years it's good to add the answer to "why" you do what you are modeling and hoping your children will "catch". This goes into casual conversation the best. "I'm sure sweaty but I'm glad to have the pond looking attractive so we can enjoy sitting out here." "I'm glad you know we love you and you won't seek love inappropriately from boys." (This was part of a casual conversation brought up by E in Jr. High, asking why any of her friends would even BE pregnant, which came from her questions about abortion.)

The more your kids absorb why you do what do, believe what you do, model what you do the less rebellion later. Knowing why helps support knowing not to!

They will catch your values, but knowing why helps them make them their own. Hope you wanted a parenting treatise!

Love, MA B

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Hand and foot is the best thing ever (at least when it comes to cards)!

I'm glad you had a good time with your parents. Enjoy the rest of your week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home