Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Catching up

A lot has happened since my last post - too much to write about in depth. To be blunt, the real estate market is pretty slow and we haven't had enough income to make ends meet. That has been a hard thing to admit and a substantial amount of pride is being eliminated as we go through the Holy Spirit's classroom of Humility 101. As I shared with the Falcons on Saturday, the more pride one has, the more trials are necessary to reveal it and develop our perseverance and character. The immature will blame God and complain about trials (I know - I've done that) but the mature see them as the gifts they are to conform us to the image of Jesus (I'm learning to do that). So, I've gone from anger and frustration to confidence and peace. Because of God's grace we are greatly encouraged, and through the generous gifts of His servants we are making it. I never thought we would need to be on the receiving side, and it has been most humbling and very enlightening to see this evidence of His love for us.

In recent days, I've been the grateful recipient of fatherly advice, brotherly concern and a friendly kick in the pants to get moving and provide for my family. As a result, I applied for a substitute teaching position today. As soon as my college transcripts arrive in the mail, I'll be put on the call list. It won't make me rich, but it will help me provide for the needs of my family and provide opportunities to be an atmosphere-changer in places that need the manifest presence of God.

Several people I love and respect have been encouraging me to get back into vocational ministry. That makes a lot of sense except for one thing, which is the most important thing. God is not leading me to do that. What is going to happen in the future? I have no idea. What I do know is that I'm where I need to be right now, and I guess that's all I really need to know.

4 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your insights are an extreme challenge to me Scott. Thank you for your honesty and sharing what you do. I'll be praying for God's best for you, even though I don't understand sometimes the circumstances He allows His servants to go through...

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger middle aged blogger said...

I have been very thankful that M's income is there and has sustained us this past year and a half. It has given me the time I need to get rested from my last job and now organized and trained and mentored in this new work.

As I have been grateful that things aren't too hot I've wondered how you're doing! I will continue to pray for you and your family.

MA B

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger JGirl said...

Hang in there buddy, we've been taking the same class! Humility 101 sure does bite doesn't it?
The professor is pretty awesome though eh? LOL! Even though we can't cheat off each other's test, we can at least be study buddies!

Bru and I are walking right behind you both and we'll catch you if you fall. Don't ever forget the brothers and sisters that love you more than you'll ever know. :~)

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!!

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Pride is hard to let go... sometime Jesus just brings us to a point where pride becomes the least of our worries. I'll be praying for you!

Looking forward to hearing you preach at Sonlight on the 26th!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home