Friday, October 20, 2006

Gifts, God's Love & Confessions

I'm learning just how much God loves us. I had some amazing experiences yesterday that taught me the lengths to which He will go to discipline and protect me. Yesterday morning I spent some powerful time in prayer with my friend Andrew before going home to meet with a Spirit-filled insurance man who is in myBNI (Business Network International) group. After showing Kim and me how we can save $100 per month (praise God!) we "had church" in our kitchen. As we prayed, the Holy Spirit moved on Doug and he prophesied over us. Within two hours, part of his prophecy was coming to pass! (Doug gets it. He's a great example of a regular Christian who is operating in the power of the Holy Spirit as he works in the marketplace to advance the Kingdom of God.) The direct confirmation of his prophetic words were evidenced in a call I received from a dear friend whom God has used repeatedly in my life.
Connie's words were direct and clear. In a loving but stern rebuke, I was confronted with an area in my life that needed to be completely yielded to the Lordship of Jesus. The things she said were not her words, but God's words, which I gladly receive. Sin - all sin- is serious business and cannot be taken lightly. One profound thing she said was that I was blaming the devil for something that was really my own fault, the result of my own flesh. I think many Christians have readily credited the devil with temptation rather than face our own complicity in it. Hallelujah for the Truth which sets us free!
I spent some time in the afternoon reading the Word and crying out to God. Much progress was made, but I knew there was more God needed to do. At the gathering of the church last night, God did more! The Spirit directed us to the story of Achan in Joshua, and how Achan's hidden sin resulted in death. What followed is simply amazing. Open confession of sins. Serious sins. Hidden sins that no one else knew about but are hindering God's perfect will in our lives. And there was grace, oh so much grace and forgiveness. After a while, it was obviously time to rejoice in the finished work of Christ and take in His life-giving body and blood. Then we sang a few songs celebrating our Savior and enjoyed His tender presence among us.
This morning Mike and I prayed together and our time was rich and brought blessing to both of us.
My knowledge of the Truth has been expanded through these significant personal experiences of His grace.
I'm learning a lot about the necessity of people operating in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
I'm learning more about the significance and necessity of confessing our sins to each other.
I'm learning what a precious gift Kim is and that God has great things in store for us that we must experience together, or we won't experience them at all.
I'm learning more about the importance of believing God's Word.
I'm learning more about the infinite, satisfying love of God.
I am determined to dig deeper and find out more about the sufficiency of Christ. I certainly have a long way to go, but an important breakthrough has happened. Thank God for His love!

4 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog. I use to listen to your teachings and have missed your ministry. I'm in Columbus and was never part of the congregation, but enjoyed receiving the tapes. Check out my blog sometime: http://www.todaysworship.blogspot.com/

I've been wondering what you and your family have been doing. Glad to read a little about life. Take care and God bless!!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Melody said...

Wow. I am overjoyed to know that the gifts are moving so much in your life and the lives around you. I work on Thurs. from 2-11, but if I get this new job my hours might change so there is always a possibility I can make it. Tell Kim I said hi:) Do you know what is going on with Deb's blog sight? I can't get it to come up.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger notreallydoingthis said...

i thought for sure i posted earlier... i don't know if it got lost in cyber space, or if i posted on someone else's by mistake...:) who knows.

eddie and i watched our wedding video this morning. normally we would fast foward the prayers (i know: how horrible) but today we listened. it was amazing how powerful each and everyone of them were. even more today then the day we were married. how awesome our God is.

you are and will always be eddie and my pastor!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Thanks! Your wedding sure was special and I'm so glad for the privilege of being involved in your lives. I'm really proud of your commitment to Jesus and am honored more than I can say to always be your pastor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home