Monday, October 09, 2006

Trip to TN

We traveled to TN for a friend's wedding this weekend. It was beautiful and we really enjoyed visiting with the Mitchells. This is a friendship in our lives that the separation of miles and time never diminishes, and I'm grateful for the history we share and the new memories we made.
We met some new friends on this trip, too. We met women who are recovering addicts and former prostitutes who are trophies of God's grace. We also met a really sharp young couple from GA who have not yet found a church home. My new friend Jeremy made two comments that I hope to remember. He said that in many of the churches he is familiar with there is "a separation between church and life." That is a convicting statement and truer than I would like to admit. No matter when you worship or where (a cathedral, house or school) if the "event" is disconnected from the rest of your life, something is lacking.
The second thing he said related to the methodologies used by many well-meaning Christian leaders to "attract" people to a given church. Jeremy quoted his mother when he said: "If you win them with a hot dog, you can lose them with a hamburger." Translation: when the ministry down the street offers something different/better, consumers who are attracted by low-commitment, "what's in it for me" ideology will not feel much loyalty to stick around. I guess all of the ministry programs (hot dogs) will continue to be utilized and great attempts will be made to improve them (turning them into hamburgers), but I hope all this activity and accompanying allocation of resources doesn't replace actually going and meeting people where they are.
On Sunday we worshiped at a great church that is reaching out to their community, actually living the Great Commission and going to where people with needs are rather than simply giving away "hot dogs" in an attempt to bring people in. Don't get me wrong - they are giving away a lot - food, clothes, etc. But the point is that they are going out to serve people that most of us would overlook.
The music was exceptional and it was nice to sense God's presence so powerfully. I was struck with what I perceived to be the congregation's very high loyalty to one another, and the seamless way we enjoyed both ancient and contemporary elements of worship.
The best part of the trip was the time Kim and I had to talk, and we talked about some serious things. It's been over a year now since my career change. I don't know where God is taking us, but I know that I have to learn the meaning of contentment in the present before I can be ready for the future - whatever it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home