Thursday, August 24, 2006

Going Deeper

This week I've felt a little "off." Things haven't been too busy at work and in general I haven't felt like I've contributed much to anyone. I've had periods of doubt about the effectiveness of any ministry I'm doing, and wondered if the organic church principles I believe in so strongly were actually going to bring the results I've dreamed of. I guess I was getting a little impatient with life in general.
Then the church that meets at our house gathered tonight and God totally renewed us. I've thought that things are going pretty well as we continue to take baby steps in learning how to live out the gospel in our little faith community. But I've also felt that we still weren't hitting on all cylinders. Tonight, through the honesty of God's people, we made some major progress in our journey of discovering what it means to "be" the church together. As usual, prayer was intense. God, through His Word, breathed new life into us as people shared from 2 Corinthians 7, then 1 Samuel 16 and Psalm 8. Jerri sang the 23rd Psalm and it was as if God Himself was singing over us. A vision was shared. Disappointments were addressed. And Julie masterfully provided insights that will take us to a new level in ministering to our children, sharing our spiritual gifts for the benefit of all, and creating a safer environment to share our lives even more deeply. Yes, God is leading and we are experiencing the headship of Jesus over His Church. Yes, we do have a long way to go, both individually and corporately. And yes, I am confident that God is, in fact, building His church, in all of its expressions, throughout our region.
The worship we experienced tonight was a welcome oasis in what had been a desert-like week. It sure is fun to drink deeply of God's love, and to press deeper into the great adventure of this amazing life of following Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home