Tuesday, October 17, 2006

late nite confirmation

Last night I received a call from the BGPD that one of our officers was involved in a fatal shooting. I went immediately to the station to talk with the officers. The patrolman who was involved has been a friend of mine for several years. In fact, he was the one who suggested that I consider being the chaplain, so it was a special privilege to spend some quality time with him after such a significant event in his life. We talked and prayed and just shared life together.
I have a huge appreciation for the job our officers are called upon to do, and I hope that the future media coverage will be favorable. It is always unfortunate when someone's life is taken. We can't know what is in another person's heart, but the perpetrator appears to have been committing "suicide by cop" and left the officer no choice. The day started out like any other, but ended unlike any other for everyone involved.
I've been enjoying the opportunity to minister in more obscure ways than ever before - an individual here or there, a crisis, a relaxed conversation, and simply being a listening ear. It's not glamorous and doesn't have any outward signs of remarkable "success," but it is an important role God is teaching me.
I got home after 2:00 am and told Kim the details. As I lay down in my comfortable bed, I said, "I really felt like a pastor tonight." And Kim said, "You are." Regardless of a title or position, I was reminded again that God's calling is irrevocable.

6 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Bru said...

It is the man that makes the title, the title does not make the man. The lord has annointed you to be a herald of his good news, and what the world decides to call you is absolutely irrelevant. He has equiped you to do the work that he has appointed to you, even though at times you may feel inadequate or unworthy of such a calling.
The lord has blessed Jeri and I beyond measure simply by having you and Kim in our lives and I am proud to call you a brother.
See you Thursday!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Thanks, Tony. It is really encouraging to grow with you & Jeri!

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. Indeed the call IS irrevocable. I could tell even when we met for lunch that you still have the heart/calling of a pastor, even if you are working in real estate full time. Thank you for being their for the BG Police Pastor Scott.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Stetlers said...

We are called to be the people of God where we are, at all times. We are called to represent a different kingdom. You are not your title, your crenditials, your position...you are a member of that kingdom. So beautiful that you know that and are living that out. God bless you and your family.
Give us a call, we're up to something "crazy" again...

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Melody said...

Just wanted to say hi! I haven't talked to you in forever and just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, both you and your family and you will always be a pastor in my book....

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Melody said...

Just wanted to say hi! I haven't talked to you in forever and just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, both you and your family and you will always be a pastor in my book....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home