Friday, March 23, 2007

Delighting

Last night our church spent some time in Psalm 37 and it was really good. Verse 4 says, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." I've been praying the last few days that I will only desire what God desires for me. I think that's a good prayer, but I just realized that the desires we have should not be the primary focus - even if they are not "good" desires and need to be corrected. If my thoughts are on my desires, then that makes life all about me and my ability to be right, think right, do right. And that prevents me from focusing on God. It's ironic but true that when I try the hardest to desire the right things, it usually results in frustration. I think that's why the verse puts much more emphasis on the object of our delight, making the desires a byproduct. Anytime I get that backwards, being a Christian is hard work and I can never seem to measure up. But delighting in God is not hard work and naturally leads me to desire what He desires. So, I'm going to delight in the One who delights in me, and that is both amazingly simple and simply amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home