Monday, January 15, 2007

Pruning

I really like what Jesus says in John 15. He says to his disciples, "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to bear fruit that will last." I love the truth that God has chosen us and will produce eternal spiritual fruit as we remain and abide in Him. The first part of the chapter talks about what is necessary for bearing optimal fruit: pruning. Jesus says that God prunes us so that our lives produce even more. Pruning requires cutting, and I am moving into a season of my life where I know that He is sharpening the knife.

That encourages me.

It’s time to evaluate a lot of things in my life, foundational issues, and I’m ready to dig deep. Some things will stay. Some will go. Some will go and return even better. I look forward to God’s skillful precision in pruning what is unnecessary. I don’t know what all He plans to cut, but I know that His motive is love and that it’s going to be for the good of my whole family. I’m choosing hope and life and submission to the One who knows where to cut in order for us to experience the most abundant life possible. Let the pruning begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home