Saturday, November 18, 2006

A new job!

The reason I haven't blogged for a while is that I was blessed to teach three days this week and had the time of my life! It was neat to have the students recognize me from church, Upward Basketball, funerals, etc. and the favor of God was evident as a rapport was developed quickly with every class.

I spent Wednesday at BGJHS, teaching 7-8th grade Health. I really felt like God's love flowed through me and it was a very invigorating day. The teacher left great lesson plans and I enjoyed talking to the students about drugs & alcohol. Of course, I have a lot of stories about these subjects, and they listened very attentively. The students were respectful, very engaged in the conversation and also enjoyed hearing about the tricks my twin brother and I played on our substitute teachers!

To begin the class, I asked the students to share two things they had done in their lives that they were proud of. This sparked some great discussion and one student shared that she has had some poetry published. To make a long story short, the whole class benefited from her gift. I believe she has captured the heart of this generation in a poem called "Corruption,"and I plan to post it sometime this weekend.

On Thursday morning I met with a real estate client then went to Conneaut Elementary where I taught phys ed, Estep boot-camp style (push-ups, sit-ups, jump rope, jumping jacks, lots of running and, of course, dodgeball!). The 1st, 2nd & 3rd graders were a lot of fun, and I especially enjoyed getting to have lunch with Danielle!!

I was back at the JH on Friday, this time with a special needs class. This teacher assists several other teachers throughout the day, including Mrs. Genson's reading class. The goal for the day was to complete Charles' Dickens' "A Christmas Story." I volunteered to read, and it was a real treat. Mrs. Genson talked with other teachers I was supposed to assist and asked if I could read to her other classes, which I gladly did in all but one class the rest of the day!

After talking for a while with another Christian teacher (very encouraging!), I had fun in the science lab, where Jennifer (the pastor's wife at BG Naz) was substitute teaching. She is an excellent teacher, and I really enjoyed the class. I had the privilege of having lunch with Jennifer, and it was really nice to know that they are enjoying life in BG. I look forward to working there again and hope that we can spend some time with the Nichols this winter.

Last night we had the Cub Scout all-nighter at the BG Community Center, where we stayed until after 2:00 am. We left early because of today's Holiday Parade, where I passed out candy and Seth rode on our AA Green Realty, Inc. float. Now, I'm working at the office until 3:00, then I'll head home and get ready to watch the big game and enjoy a relaxing evening with my family.

It struck me yesterday that when I left BG Naz I didn't think I was really qualified to do anything. Now, I am a Realtor, substitute teacher, chaplain, and continue to get opportunities to preach. I have the privilege of living an exciting, diverse life that puts me in new places, meeting new people, and learning new things every day. What a ride!

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer from Ohio said...

Wow, you have been busy! I sure wish that I had had substitute teachers like you and Danielle back when I was in school. I had a different sort...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home