Monday, January 01, 2007

The last few days I re-read "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell. I highly recommend it. He has a great way of writing about what it means to follow Jesus in our day. It's one of the few books I have ever read twice, and I will probably read it again. One thing he says (that Myles Munroe also says) is that we are to bring heaven to earth. While we do have hope of eternal life, it begins now and we are to usher in God's Kingdom right where we are, in the present, instead of focusing only on the future. I like that because it gives much more significance to the ordinary, mundane circumstances of life. He says a lot of other great things about truth, the church, etc. so I encourage you to get a copy of the book. I'm sure you would like it.
Bell also writes that we would be much more effective evanglists if we followed Paul's example and pointed out the presence of Jesus where people have simply not been able to identify Him before. He is ever-present, but not always obviously visible, so we live a life of love and ask good questions and engage people as the Spirit leads, and some will join us in the journey.
We've had some very rewarding evenings lately. Thursday as the church gathered the Holy Spirit moved among us and Jesus' headship was demonstrated as He led our time together - singing, prayer, scripture, encouragement, confession, and lots of love.
Friday we spent the evening with friends and had great conversation. I look forward to developing a deeper friendship with G&R in 2007.
I got to spend some time with clients Saturday and also spent much of the afternoon with my neighbor, Tom, splitting firewood. Great exercise. As we worked, I felt a lot of gratitude for my heritage and how my parents taught me to value work - and enjoy it.
I'm recovering from a cold, so I spent most of the day Sunday and today on the couch. It was good to see the Steelers beat the Bengals, to see Dallas lose to Detroit, and the WV Mountaineers come back victory over Georgia Tech ! Sunday evening we celebrated Macee's 5th birthday then went to a gathering in BG with some home-school friends. Excellent time together. Christ-centered conversation, great food, deepening friendships. We have a great life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home