Thursday, February 23, 2006

Liberating Confessions

I had a great day today. It started out rabbit hunting. Four men. Three dogs. Thirteen rabbits. Enough said.

This afternoon I was privileged to have a very enlightening visit with my friend Brin. As we walked throughout his house, we saw the overwhelming evidence of the grace of God that has been and is at work through his wife, who is now in a nursing home. In every room her handiwork, His handiwork, was displayed with beautiful artistry.

A colleague of mine initiated a meeting in which he is going to give me a running start by sharing a lot of important files tomorrow morning. I’m very grateful for the new friends God is brining into my life.

Now to address the title of this post. Liberating confessions. Psalm 32 says, “When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord" – and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.”

Julie directed us to these verses tonight. Then Lisa pointed us to Hosea 2 and spoke of God’s desire to respond to His people with faithfulness. Then we experienced the truth of God’s Word. Sins were confessed and the church agreed to fast and pray for deliverance from addiction for two of our brothers, and we encouraged them to pursue God and learn of the power that comes when we pray in the Spirit (Ephesians 6: 18). Victory is ours! Kim reminded us that Jesus is all that we need and we had fun with the idea that He is food to the glutton; drink to the alcoholic; a cigarette to the smoker. We believe that whatever satisfaction people receive from these things can be totally fulfilled by Jesus instead. He is the I AM whatever you need!

By the way, it would probably be good for me to confess that I only shot one of those 13 rabbits!

Today’s N-Cite: Don’t hide your sin. You are not alone, so confess it to people who love you and enter the hiding place of God!

1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Randy and Connie Harris said...

Now that is what I call meat! That's the way it is suppose to be. We, the church are suppose to be a safe place to confess to one another the things that hinder us. All have fallen short but bless God we all have the blood of Jesus and His intersession on our behalf. God's grace is sufficiant. Kim is right. He should be our everything. His joy is our strength. Jesus IS Lord! Thanks for sharing Scott. I am encouraged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home