Saturday, February 04, 2006

Music, Truth and Basketball

Kim and I enjoyed a great date last night. We ate a terrific meal at Carrabba’s, then went to the Toledo Symphony. A friend I run with plays in the symphony and got us some complimentary tickets. The seats were great, the evening was romantic, and the soothing sound of the strings was a perfect experience of beauty in a week that was full of sights and sounds that were far from beautiful.
Over the last few days, I’ve spent several hours preparing for a very large funeral for a 17 year old boy who left his mom and twin brother to pick up the pieces after his suicide. Thank God for His grace, and the words of truth he gave me to share at the funeral. It was this morning at 11:30, and the church was full of hurting people. Fortunately, it was also full of the mercy of God. Though the whole week was too difficult of an experience to adequately describe, I’m grateful that God allowed me to be His ambassador and share the love of Jesus with our community.
I left the cemetery in time to arrive at Seth’s first Upward game just after it started. It really felt good to laugh at these 1st and 2nd grade stars. I’m glad to be coaching with a cool guy named Steve who is having a lot of fun this season. Even though we don’t keep score, Seth let me know that our team lost. He scored a couple of baskets and was very happy with his performance. He sure does like to shoot, so we need to work on passing the ball at practice this week.
As soon as the game was over, we went to watch the Falcons with our neighbors who had given us tickets. It was exciting as the game went into two overtimes. The officiating was lousy and we ended up losing but it was a lot of fun. It was nice to see some kids at the game proudly wearing their Upward uniforms.
I’m glad to be home and look forward to a quiet night. I need to get rested up to be able to cheer for the Steelers tomorrow as they get their fifth Superbowl ring. It’s been snowing all afternoon, so we’re hoping the roads are clear for us to spend the day with Randy and Connie and watch the game with them in MI.

Today’s N-Cite: I recently asked God to show me as much of His heart that I was capable of handling. He took me to the edge this week. Would you consider offering a prayer like that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home