Friday, January 27, 2006

Self Addiction

Donald Miller has a great understanding of the human condition. The term he uses is “self-addiction,” and I think that is incredibly accurate. I’ve heard, and said, that the essence of sin is selfishness, rebellion against God, a desire to be God ourselves.
I’ve also heard that the things we hate most in others are usually our own weaknesses.

One of the things I hate is defining your business, church, self, etc. by comparing with others you perceive to be inferior. I’d rather define myself by who I am, rather than who I’m not. Yet, I’m guilty of doing what I despise, and that really bugs me. I’m grateful for people who love me enough to point out this painful reality. Thanks, Steve, for calling me on it. I’m becoming a better man, a better Christian because of your honesty. Even though the progress may feel like baby steps, it’s still progress.

I understand that it’s always easier to criticize than construct, to define by what we’re not rather than doing the harder work of articulating who we really are. I also realize that with all the new ways of thinking that I’m embracing, I run the huge risk of being critical of anyone who doesn’t see things the way I do – and in the process doing the very thing I despise. Why do we do that? Self-addiction. That’s why I’m desperate for Jesus. He is the only antidote to self-addiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home