Sunday, January 08, 2006

One Is A Lonely Number

The last few days we’ve had some of the best worship experiences of my life. Friday night our house church feasted on Mexican food, rich fellowship, a stimulating study of Romans 9, and powerful time of prayer. It was everything church should be, and I was very blessed by the widespread participation and distinct lack of a single human leader. We all enjoyed the leadership of the Holy Spirit as we encouraged and instructed one another, ala Romans 15:14 which says, “I myself am confident my brothers and sisters, that you are full of goodness, complete in knowledge, and competent to instruct one another.” We are learning to hear the voice of God through the voices of His people!

Saturday night we met with some current and future house church leaders and once again shared life. We experienced an overcoming atmosphere as we shared testimonies of God’s grace and fanned the flame of each others’ desire to bring the Kingdom of God into our neighborhoods. Once again, it was a time that was utterly Spirit-led and included 100% participation of everyone present. Mike and Chris, who are on the PowerHouse Apostolic Ministry Team, shared in the time of leading and training and we truly worked as a team.

I contrast that with a conversation I had on Friday with a friend whose church is in midst of a pastoral search. She said, “We’ve interviewed four men that we thought were pretty good, but we only liked certain aspects of each one’s ministry. If we could take the qualities we like in all four and put it into one guy, we would have what we want.”

The Spirit spoke to me clearly and said, “They are looking for more than one person can possibly be. That’s why I’ve given the Church apostles, prophets, pastors, evangelists and teachers. One human being cannot fulfill all of those roles.”

I am confident that Today’s N-Cite will serve its purpose of inciting people to think:
One reason so many pastors get burned out is that we expect them to do the impossible. I believe the dominant model of a single pastor-led congregation has no real biblical foundation. Rather, in every NT Church we see a ministry team, who were called elders. Before you get angry, understand that I am NOT saying that God doesn't call pastors today. God does call and gift pastors. But He also calls people to other offices that are vitally important. So, I AM saying that the role of pastor alone is insufficient for leading any local expression of the Church, whether that is a house church or a denominational congregation. Before you comment with a quick reaction, please search the Word and offer any biblical evidence to support your position. If I'm wrong, I'm open to learning, so let’s dialogue!

1 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger Gary Browne said...

God does like a team. Even Jesus needed 12 fishermen to help minister to people!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home