Monday, January 02, 2006

Thankful and Tested

Thankful and tested. That’s probably how a lot of people are starting 2006.

I have a lot to be thankful for today. I’m thankful for God’s amazing provision for our family and some awesome books I’ve been reading lately. (Bible books of Acts, Romans and Colossians, Organic Church by Neil Cole, Revolution by George Barna, So You Want to Start a House Church? by Frank Viola) I’m thankful for hearing Shani sing “Jesus Loves Me,” the Steelers getting into the playoffs, and growing friendships with my neighbors.

Our faith is being tested as 2006 begins. Kim and I believe wholeheartedly in the ability and will of God to heal, but the last few days Seth has not been well. Yesterday, with tears in his eyes, he said, “If God loves me so much, why won’t He heal me?” That’s a pretty profound question for a seven year old. I assured him that God does love him and that we must not lose hope when God doesn’t answer us as quickly as we would like. When I’ve been tempted to be discouraged, the Holy Spirit has reminded me of those words. It’s easy to get upset and react like a spoiled child when God doesn’t do what I want Him to do when I want Him to do it. Since the fruit of the Spirit is patience, it’s time to let Jesus’ patience sustain us in the middle of our questions.

While I do not understand God’s timing, I do believe the Word of God, which tells us of God’s power and desire to heal – spiritually, physically, emotionally, relationally. So, we are keeping the faith and trusting the love of our Father. Romans 8:28 says that He is working all things together for our good. That verse has sustained me and continues to anchor me.

We were successful in taking down and putting away the Christmas decorations today. It was nice to work with Kim. She is an amazing woman and I am very fortunate to be married to her. Through some major changes in our lives in the second half of 2005, she has been unwavering in her love for God and her love for me. As a good friend of ours likes to remind me “She is the bullet in your gun.”

Tonight, Chris and family came over to enjoy some food and Ohio State football. He helped me get this blog up and running and I’m thankful for that. It’s good to share life with someone who is so passionate about seeing the Kingdom of God impact our part of the planet.

Thankful and tested all at the same time. I think as long as we never lose the ability to be thankful, the tests – whatever they are – will be bearable.

1 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger notreallydoingthis said...

it is good to hear from you
emily

 

Post a Comment

<< Home