Friday, January 06, 2006

God in a Pharmacy

I met with God in the pharmacy this morning.
It seems that Seth has been misdiagnosed the previous two trips to the doctor. More fiber is not the answer when there is an infection. We got home from the ER this morning at 2:00 am and the ER doc said that he had just read (perfect timing) an article about sub-clinical urinary tract infections in adults. In other words, people are having infections that current tests are not detecting, and we think this may be the cause of Seth’s discomfort. So we got a prescription for an antibiotic and I went to see my friend who is a pharmacist in BG. (We discontinued the antibiotic last week after the tests last Friday said that there was no infection.)
When I got to the pharmacy this morning, I was greeted with a hug, and received words of encouragement from friends who genuinely care about our welfare. (Three of the people who work there are/were part of our church family when I was a pastor.) As I waited for the prescription I felt the very real peace of God in the pharmacy. In fact, it was like being in church. Come to think of it, the employees at the pharmacy are Christ followers, so I was with people who are being the church. No matter what your business is – pharmacist, plumber, secretary – you can usher in the kingdom of God in your workplace.
As I drove away, I had to repent for being angry/frustrated with God for not answering my prayers for Seth’s healing, and my spirit was lifted. I’m grateful for the ways God shows up in the ordinary places of our lives - even in the pharmacy.

Today’s N-Cite: Just as there are sub-clinical infections in the human body, I think there are sub-clinical infections in the Body of Christ. Even though we can’t put our finger on it, we know there is something wrong. I think the “infections” have not been diagnosed because the current tests (defining “success”) are not asking the right questions. What do you think? What kind of questions should we be asking today?

3 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger middle aged blogger said...

Is the reflection of my life that is seen by others, more God-like today than it was yesterday?

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Randy and Connie Harris said...

Here's a question:

Does the body of Christ believe all the richest treasures of wisdom and knowledge are embedded in God's great, revealed mystery, Jesus the Christ and nowhere else?

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Gary Browne said...

Wouldn't the church die or fade out if we were not reaching the "next generation?" What is the church doing to help equip parents to raise a Godly family? How can the kids lead or have a voice in the function of a church?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home