Thursday, February 09, 2006

Why I need the Church

I got a call last night that someone who has suffered greatly the last two years was in the hospital - again - and I went there this morning. For a while, I was upset with God(OK, I was mad at Him) because He hasn't healed this mother of two young children. As much as I hate to admit it, I started to doubt His goodness. That reminded me of something I heard once from an experienced Christian. He told me that when he was a young man, his greatest battles were against sins of the flesh. As an older man, his greatest battles are against unbelief. I'm starting to understand that some, in spite of my youthfulness!

Tonight at our house church we feasted both physically and spiritually. Lisa said God had been speaking to her about perfecting her faith. The discussion was awesome, and we spent some time in Hebrews 10. It was most encouraging to hear my house church family confess their utter dependence upon God in order to have faith at all, and to affirm God's desire for us to have a growing and sustaining and overcoming kind of faith. My unbelief and doubt was not simply dismissed as okay; it was identified as sin, and I confessed it. Openly. And it was healing, just like James said it would be.

There are millions of reasons why I need the church. One reason is that when my faith falters, the church reminds me just how good God really is. Whether I understand this life or not, I know God is faithful, just, and true to His Word. It was good to be reminded of that in an environment of grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home