Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Father's Day and Uzbekistan

I had a great day Sunday. It started with a 9 mile run in the hottest, most humid weather I've run in for a long time. I wasn't properly hydrated but thanks to the encouragement of Kevin & Mark I made it back home in one piece. The first five miles went quickly as we talked about the story of Jonah and God used these brothers to thoroughly prepare me to speak at a small church in Bradner.

When I got home from the church, I enjoyed a huge Father's Day surprise. Kim had a friend (Kurt) make me a corn hole game. She and the kids painted in and used BGSU Falcon stickers on it. Then she had the Falcon football team sign it. I hope to post a picture of it soon. I was shocked, and knowing how much work had gone into it made me feel really special. We enjoyed playing a while Sunday afternoon and I got a short nap before going to a Bible study with the team.

Today we received a call about two international students who needed a place to stay tonight. Of course I said they could stay with us. It was all part of God's plan and we were amazed to find out that Vladimir and Dimitri are from Uzbekistan. (Zakiya, who stayed with us last year is also from Uzbekistan, so we called her and she plans to meet us sometime tomorrow to help welcome her fellow countrymen!)
We ate a delicious turkey dinner, then introduced them to corn hole and smores before they headed off to bed. They hadn't slept in about three days so I'm sure they will sleep well tonight.

Tomorrow we will help them get an apartment and some people in our church have agreed to donate some furniture - a bed, couch and futon. I love being part of a church that meets needs so readily. It sure is fun to "be the church" and invite strangers into our home in Jesus' name. It was nice to find out that Vladimir is a Christian, and I trust that through our interaction Dimitri will experience the overwhelming love of Jesus and be drawn to our irresistible Savior.

I'm thankful for my heavenly Father and my earthly father. I'm also grateful to be a father to the two best children a dad could ever have, and to be the husband of a beautiful, godly, talented and intelligent wife who treats me better than I deserve to be treated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home